Friday, September 23, 2011

What were some injustices in the jazz industry in the 1940's-1950's?

I have a project in my Honors L.A. class. We had to choose a topic (which he provided) and write a 5-7 page research paper about the injustices or mistreatment that happened during that era. I've researched all that I could and I haven't found any exact information on how there were any injustices in the jazz industry. Thank you for any responses and if you do respond could you please provide the website where you got your information! Thank you again and I tried to make it as short as possible...|||I grew up in Canada during the 1950's.


The equivalent radio network to NPR, (CBC) we have here often broadcast jazz recordings over the noon hour. I hated jazz, because I didn't understand it. It was discordant and cacophonous to my ears.


I cannot name names, just because I do not have that information, but this is my understanding.





The McCarthyist paranoia toward communism in the United States following World War II targeted many in the entertainment industry. You can see this among many film-making folk of California. The committee McCarthy headed really ruined many a career of some very talented people.


The same held true for those involve in Jazz. It may, in part, have had a racial connection, as well, but that likely would have been covert.


The discordant sound of jazz composed and recorded in this era was a bit of (in my opinion) sarcasm or at least the voice of protest. If you 'got' jazz you would understand these pieces were designed to mirror the discordant tone McCarthy was inculcating to private and political life in the United States. It was designed to demonstrate solidarity toward friends and colleagues who were being persecuted by McCarthyism. It also covertly expressed the hope that soon all of this would end and life would return to normal for those engaged in producing imaginative and original material in the entertainment industry as a whole.


You need to research McCarthyism and choose a few 'great names' of those performing jazz to work your project out.


It may be difficult but it could also be fun. You may want to find some recordings of the sort I mention above, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment