Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What can I expect if I start taking Jazz Dance lessons?

I've strictly been a Latin and Ballroom dancer, but I've always wanted to take Jazz. What should I expect? How should I dress? Are there shoes for Jazz? I remember when I took African dance, there was NO ONE in there that WASN'T a dancer; everyone was a dancer of some trade. In Jazz, are there people starting off for the very first time (I'm 22)?|||OK.





You're not too late for your age to take jazz lessons. But start sooner... why? coz you will do a lot of stretching and warm ups.





You will experience the following:





1. French terms for jazz (ballet as well) routines... such as jete, grand jete, plie... etc. etc. other terms like single and double step and so many others.





2. Expect lots of bumps and bruises on your feet, arms and legs (for fast routines) normal for you to fall or hit the wall.





3. Splitting is so normal, i hope you do already.





4. Warm ups in jazz take 45 mins. to an hour depending on the choreographer.





5. Find a nice pair of tights or leotards or leg warmers as well for your outfit. A jogging pants will do but make sure it's stretchable and durable.





6. Ballet shoes will do, but in my experience I'm more comfortable in barefoot while rehearsing to add more grip on the floor.





7. In jazz or even ballet, dance steps are easily created mentioning only the terms, so be quick to remember them for your routines.





8. Mind you. Dancing jazz is addictive. Whenever you hear some music, you would feel like flying with those routines you had learned. You will feel very light and alert once you learn to isolate those parts of your body and will be very graceful with your moves.





9. One thing I've noticed with Jazz and ballet dancers as well... they walk with their feet outwards. This is due to rigorous stretching on the floor and on the bar.





10. HAVE FUN! =)





*** These are all my first hand experiences and until now, I feel sexy because of Jazz.|||Most likely, but if there aren't people will understand if you're just starting out...unless they're total *******. Then they may just dance right over your bloody pulp of a body to mean. Kids can be cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment