Friday, September 16, 2011

What can I do to jazz up canned tomato soup?

I'm making panini sandwiches for my luncheon for my inlaws on Saturday. I'm opening cans of tomato soup for a side dish...what can I do to jazz it up so it doesn't taste like generic soup? Thanks!|||This is the only way that my son and husband will eat it:





1 family size can tomato soup


1 small onion diced


1 can Italian style diced tomatoes


1 pat butter


1 tsp garlic powder


1 tsp onion powder








saute the onion in the butter until tender, add soup, tomatoes, seasoning and 1 full can milk.. NO Water





simmer for about 20 minutes on low heat stirring often.|||That sounds delicious! The answers that have included general spices/herbs sound like a good idea, you can always get a baguette, cut it up into slices, place on a pan (not sure about the degrees on the oven, maybe 350), and drizzle them with olive oil, maybe some parmasan cheese, sort of make your own croutons but bigger. Also, on top of the tomato soup, I'd recommend grating some fresh mozzarella cheese, or buy the already shredded variety at the store, either way, should be good.|||Add some fresh or dried Italian herbs like parsley, basil and oregano. Some garlic would also be good. For a more substantial soup you could add canned white beans or cooked pasta or rice ... but as a side dish I would go with herbs, garlic and a small dollop of sour cream. Sour cream is fantastic with tomato soup! Oh, and you could chop a couple of fresh tomatoes and add them if you prefer a thicker soup ... if you like it smooth, don't bother.|||I just did this a couple weeks ago. I added some McCormick Salad toppings, a half can of petite sized tomatoes, instant rice, and I had an open jar of spaghetti sauce so I added about a tablespoon of that. I then served it with seasoned croutons. it turned out to be a pretty hearty meal.|||I add a can of water...never milk. My family will not eat it if it is not plain. But I would offer a plate of add ins such as cheese, fresh herbs, sour cream, croutons, crackers etc.....


To me tomato soup is not tomato soup if you put stuff in it. Your inlaws might feel the same way.|||Add in some fresh tomato pieces, fresh basil, and some crab meat (canned is fine). Maybe a small splash of white wine too. Garnish with a couple nice big pieces of thinly sliced, fresh Parmesan cheese. It will be like a tomato/crab bisque|||Top with fresh grated parmasean cheese and seasoned croutons.





Add a can of black beans and top with shredded cheddar cheese, a little taco seasoning and crushed tortilla chips.











|||Use milk instead of water to dilute, add a swirl of sour cream to bowls.


Add a cup of cooked pasta such as fusilli or elbows.


Garnish with fresh or dried basil leaves.|||I agree - fresh basil sounds great.


I'd put some parmesan cheese on the table in case anyone wants.|||Add some whole canned tomatoes, scallions and some sharp cheddar cheese.|||Just have a good old fashion grilled cheese on the side.|||top with fresh basil and sourcream it goes great with panini sandwiches |||Green Pepper Tobassco Cheez-Its


NOMOMOMOMOM|||Add fresh basil - and a few macaroni noodles and a sprinkle of parmesan on top!|||get drunk and high then eat tomato soup. quality may vary|||make some dumplings, put some yam n irish potato n salt beef lol||| add milk and butter. salt and pepper. sounds good to me.|||put glitter in it

No comments:

Post a Comment