Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What are the first things to learn for jazz style guitar?

I'm a noob to jazz guitar and well...jazz period. But I've reached a point in my playing, that I'm ready to branch out from the genres I normally play. (Blues, Rock, Metal, r%26amp;b, ect.) Can someone give me help? Video links? Anything really. Thanks!|||http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazzguitar_lick鈼?/a>|||Begin by learning a bunch of really odd chords. Then begin learning how to invert them. From that point, invert them so you are only playing 4-3 strings (the higher ones) at once. You want to avoid the lower strings as the bass needs some movement room. From there learn to embellish from chord to chord. After learning to embellish start adding your own basslines to the chords. Then learn to improvise over the chord structure you are playing. Improvisation is the heart of jazz.|||You should try the Jamorama courses. http://goo.gl/PfiD9





They teach you about alternate picking, bending, finger picking, hammer-ons, legato, palm muting, pull-offs, slide, strumming vibrato, and like pratically everything else there is to know about keeping your guitar up like changing the strings, fine tune, (You'd be surprised by how many people play but don't know how to do that). Anyways check it out, it's how I learned how to play.|||to elaborate on the "odd chord" note above, you will need to know:


Major 7: 1 3 5 7


Dominant 7: 1 3 5 b7


Minor 7: 1 b3 5 b7


Diminished 7: 1 b3 b5 b7


Augmented 7: 1 3 sharp5 b7


7 suspended 4: 1 4 5 b7


along with:


half-diminished 7: 1 b3 b5 6 (bb7)


all the altered dominant chords b13, sharp9, b9


those are just to start, from there there are still more!|||I tried for many years on and off trying to learn the guitar but never got the hang of it untill I started using oline lessons as I was able to learn at my own pace as the home tutor I had cost me a fortune

No comments:

Post a Comment